Small suggestion

May 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM
First of all, thanks for this great project, I just love it. I have one suggestion though, I see that you need to add each level file to the content pipeline which is a problem when I have other people designing new levels as I need to recompile the game with the modified/new levels. Could it be possible to depend only on the project file added to the content pipeline, and load the levels from an external file?
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Hi pnikosis, glad you like it!  I'll look into implementing non-content pipeline loading for you.  I was basically waiting until there was a need before I bothered with it. :)

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM
Thanks a lot! I'd do it for you if I were skilled enough at programming. Anyway, I love how easy is to implement the levels with OgmoXNA, my game development has boosted since I found this project. Thanks again :)
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2010 at 9:34 PM
Just an update, I'll hopefully be getting around to this on this coming weekend. Been pretty busy!
Jun 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Nice! :)
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM

BTW, I updated your library to XNA 4.0 (it was pretty straightforward), in case you are interested.

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Hi Pnikosis,

Thanks!  I'm actually working on the re-write as we speak.  Improving and simplifying the internals and adding that raw XML loading you wanted (6 months almost, sorry!).

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Don't worry, the library is working fine in the meantime. I have a lot of other issues to improve before focusing on the map importing, not in a hurry :)

Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2010 at 5:06 AM

I'm thinking of making some changes to the API as well.  For instance removing the texture loading of the images that you use in the editor to represent the objects.  I was using it as a bit of a shortcut previously, but it doesn't necessarily make the most sense to do it that way; and takes a bit more work in the project/level files to even setup to use.  Any opinion on this?  I'm also looking at simplifying what's available from the library as a lot of the stuff only makes sense in the context of the editor, and would likely never matter to your engine or game.  How are you using the library, mostly?

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Edited Nov 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I mostly use the editor to lad the "objects", not the textures. I load the textures directly from the content pipeline based on the objects structure. Only with the tiles layers I use OgmoXNA's texture loading as it makes the tilemap creation a lot easier, but removing this feature shouldn't represent a big deal.

I agree on simplifying the library, as I said before, I personally use the library to load the objects (with their position, rotation and custom values), and the tilemaps for two different levels of backgrounds and an additional one for the floor textures :)